Wednesday 25 February 2015

10 Minute Madness Experiment

I decided to attend a writers club as I thought it would be great to talk to other authors but an unexpected and interesting thing that came from it turned out to be a 10 minute task they set everyone in the group. They gave us the topic ‘The Magic Key’ and we had to write a story or as much of a story as we could about it in 10 minutes and then read our efforts at the end. I’d never done anything like that before and I found it extremely challenging and at first I thought I’d never think of anything to write in such a short time but I ended up surprising myself. Although it was written in a rush and was unedited I still found I wanted to know what would happen next.

So at the risk of putting myself under enormous pressure I thought it would be an interesting experiment if I were to post what I had written here and then, if I can manage it regularly, set myself 10 minutes (20 if I really can’t cope with the pressure) to write a bit more of the story.

I don’t usually like people to read a first draft of anything I write and this could turn out worse than a first draft with the time limitations. So please bear in mind what I post here will be unedited, rushed, written under pressure and will probably do any writing skills I may have no justice at all. I have no idea how long the story will be, what the storyline is or if I’ll even be able to make a storyline that makes sense. I don’t even know what genre it will be yet. Added to those problems once I’ve posted something I can’t change it which could well add to my storyline dilemmas.  Even just thinking of character names is awful under the time constraint and I end up just using the first name that comes into my head. My only consolation is that unlike normal where I spend hours thinking of a title I at least have something to call it already provided for this story, ‘The Magic Key’.

I’m really interested and somewhat nervous to find out how this experiment goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment